Post-Operative Instruction Sheet
After surgery there are several things that you or your family will probably experience. This sheet should help address many common questions or concerns.
- Nasal pain (and sometimes a sore throat) after surgery is very common and will usually improve a great deal after a few days.
- Take prescribed pain medicine as directed on the packaging.
- Use over-the-counter acetaminophen and ibuprofen as described on the package label for pain. DO not combine over the counter acetaminophen with prescription pain medicines that contain acetaminophen (such as Vicodin or Percocet).
- Bleeding and/or drainage from the nose after surgery is normal for the first 2 days. If there is excessive or prolonged bleeding or drainage, please call the office or report to the ER. You may be sent home with a nasal drip pad which you can change as needed. Keeping your head elevated (even when sleeping) can be helpful for bleeding and swelling.
- Nasal congestion is very common after surgery and will likely persist for about a week.
- The Following may apply to you:
- You have nasal splints inside your nose. These will be removed at your follow up visit. They will likely cause some congestion and pressure in your nose.
- You can start using nasal saline spray (available over the counter) every 2-3 hours while awake to keep your nose moisturized and clear of debris.
- You have had a snius surgery and need to start sinus rinses (such as Neilmed Sinus Rinse) in 24 hours. Use them as directed on the packaging two to three times a day consistently for the first two weeks after surgery.
- Avoid straining, heaving lifting, and vigorous exercise for 2 weeks after surgery.
- NO heavy nose blowing for about 10 days. Sniffing and very gentle nose blowing is ok.
- Drink lots of “clear” liquids the first few days after surgery, such as water and dilute fruit juices.
- Eat a bland diet initially after surgery, then you may advance your normal diet.
- You may be prescribed some new medications (such as antibiotics or nasal spray) after surgery. Take them as directed.
IF problems or questions arise, please call the office at (458) 205-6500.